PARISH BULLETIN – 12th Sunday of the Year – 21st June 2020
Deaths and Anniversaries
Please remember in your prayers:
Pat Donnelly of Portstewart, Michael Toner, Brother Ignatius Quinn, Bishop Francis Lagan and John Ryan, who died recently.
First Anniversaries – Danny Murray and Kathleen Henry.
Kathleen Trainor, Mary Toner and Frank Moran whose anniversaries occur at this time.
THANK YOU for your generous contributions to the Parish.
Sunday Collection/Priest’s Collection envelopes: £695.00.
Restoration Fund envelopes: £180.00.
Diocesan Purposes envelopes: £60.00 (£355.00 in total).
ST. MARY’S, COOLCALM
St. Mary’s, Coolcalm, is open for private prayer and lighting of candles on:
Monday to Saturday from 11 am to 1 pm.
Sunday from 3 pm to 5 pm.
HOLY HOUR on Monday 22nd June at 3 pm from the Holy Rosary Church. You’re welcome to join in with this time of prayer via the Ballinascreen Parish webcam at www.parishofballinascreen.com.
REOPENING OF CHURCHES
Following the announcement that a decision will be made on Thursday next by the Northern Ireland Executive about the opening or not of places of worship on Monday 29th June, plans are being prepared to put in place the detailed procedures for the safe reopening of churches for public worship that the Irish Episcopal Conference has proposed. No church may open for Mass if these health and safety measures are not in place. Updates on the Desertmartin and Ballinascreen parish websites and Ballinascreen Parish Facebook will keep parishioners informed over these next couple of weeks.
PARISH ANNIVERSARY MASS
If parishioners in Desertmartin and Ballinascreen wish to have their loved one prayed for at the 10 am Mass in Holy Rosary or the 7.30 pm Mass in Coolcalm on a Friday, phone the Desertmartin Parish Office answering machine on 028 7939 7047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon on Thursday of the relevant week. These Masses from the Holy Rosary and Coolcalm may be viewed on the respective Parish webcams:
For Coolcalm go to www.desertmartinparish.com and click on the blue webcam button.
For Holy Rosary, go to www.parishofballinascreen.com and click on the word ‘webcams’ in yellow.
Other church webcams can be accessed at www.churchservices.tv.
LOUGH DERG ONLINE
During the month of June, Lough Derg is offering opportunities to have an experience of retreat and pilgrimage from wherever you are. From 27th – 29th June people can do the Three-Day Pilgrimage from afar, along with the Prior and team. To register for this historic event and for full details of what is happening during June, go to www.loughderg.live Tel. 00353 71 9861518 Email email@example.com
ST. JOSEPH’S YOUNG PRIESTS’ SOCIETY
This year, St. Joseph’s Young Priests’ Society celebrates its 125th Anniversary of the founding of the Society (in 1895). The Society has launched a new website, www.stjosephsyoungpriestssociety.ie. In congratulating the faithful members of S.J.Y.P.S., past and present, on its 125th Anniversary, the Society acknowledges the ongoing good work of the S.J.Y.P.S. members in parishes across the country and in our own diocese. The work of S.J.Y.P.S. and the dedication of the members is very much understated, but the steady, prayerful and financial support is invaluable to us. The National president, Mr. John Murphy, says that in the last ten years, through the generosity of members and benefactors, the Society has assisted, both prayerfully and financially, 1,449 ordinations to priesthood. These include support for our own seminarians, of course, for which we are very grateful.
MATT TALBOT PRAYER SOCIETY – Praying for those suffering from Addiction
On the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, St. Eugene’s Cathedral launched the Matt Talbot Prayer Society. This Prayer Society has been created to pray for people who are suffering from any form of addiction, to pray for those recovering from addiction, and to pray for all those affected by addiction, especially family members. As we know addiction takes many forms from alcohol, drugs, gambling, pornography, to other less acknowledged addictions.
To join the Matt Talbot Prayer Society, you are invited to enrol the name of the person to be prayed for and the addiction from which we are praying that they will be freed. Those enrolled will be prayed for specifically every day by members of the Matt Talbot Prayer Society. Mass will be offered for those enrolled on the first Monday of every month in St. Eugene’s Cathedral, Derry, at 7.30 pm. You will also receive an enrolment card to enable you to join in the prayer. To enrol someone in the Matt Talbot Prayer Society, please phone St. Eugene’s Cathedral on 028 7126 2894 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or private message St. Eugene’s Cathedral Facebook page.
SCRIPTURE SATURDAY WITH BISHOP DONAL
Created by Derry Diocesan Youth, Bishop McKeown presents a series of short lessons on the Gospel in easy-to-understand, short (3-4 minute) videos, with tips and references of where and how to use these lessons in your daily life. View the series at: https://www.derrydiocese.org/scripture-saturday
ONLINE YOUTH PROGRAMMES
ONLINE YOUTH COURSE – SUNDAYS 7 PM
Calling all young people 15-18 years from Derry Diocese, we are hosting an online meeting/course for 8 weeks on Sunday evenings at 7 pm. We will have some craic, play some games and quizzes but we will also explore some big questions about our faith with the help of a programme called Alpha. Alpha Youth explores the Christian Faith and answers some pretty big questions. Each week as part of the meeting we will watch a video and have a discussion afterwards. This trailer will give you an idea what to expect from this part of the meeting: https://alpha.org/youth
If you’d like to take part, please fill in this form to sign up!
Messenger Publications is offering a free online copy of the June edition of ‘The Messenger’. To access the June edition, visit: https://issuu.com/messengerpublications/docs/messenger_june_v11.3_low_res.
If you would like to set up a Subscription to ‘The Messenger’ and have it POSTED to you, contact Coordinator, Elizabeth Foley on 00353 87 230 9219 or email: email@example.com. A year’s subscription is £37.
In accordance with the Government statement and guidelines issued by Bishop McKeown, there will be no baptisms until further notice. Baptisms will resume as soon as possible, but we ask parents not to be anxious. It is customary nowadays for children to be baptised many weeks and months after they are born. Parents can bless their children with the Sign of the Cross morning and evening and recite the Guardian Angel Prayer for them:
Angel of God
My guardian dear
To whom God’s love
Commits me here
Ever this day
Be at my side
To light and guard
To rule and guide. Amen.
Resources are available on the Derry Diocesan Catechetical website to help families, young people and children to continue to engage with their Faith Formation during this time. Log on to www.catecheticalcentre.org.
Primary School Resources: https://catecheticalcentre.org/category/primary-school-resources/
Post Primary School Resources: https://catecheticalcentre.org/category/post-primary-school-resources/
Youth Resources: https://catecheticalcentre.org/category/youth-resources/
THE NET – JUNE 2020
With the Covid-19 restrictions still in place, the June edition of ‘The Net’ is only available on the Derry Diocesan website at this stage. However, the publication will be available again in parishes when the restrictions are lifted. Coverage in this month’s edition includes:
- Bishop Donal asks – How can we help young people renew the Church?
- Diocesan online youth programme to continue into summer
- Special celebration for Newtownstewart Holy Communicants
- Cappagh Youth Holy Hours
- Drumragh family’s virtual vigil in Sacred Heart Church
- JPII participants looking forward to completing Award
- CBS Omagh keeping the faith online
- Lumen Christi family staying connected
- Brigid’s College continues to be a beacon of light
- Joseph’s pupils encouraged to engage in daily prayer
- Celebrating St. Columba – a Derry tradition by Ivor Doherty
- Sisters, Bridget Quigley & Nellie Kerlin stay true to their Donegal roots
- Drumragh reflection on new ways of engaging in parish life
- Three Patrons parishioner shares power of The Little Flower
- Little Saint of Lisieux as close as ever by Roseann O’Donnell
- Lifford faithful honour Our Lady
- Kilrea parishioner, Patricia Casey shares faith story
- Oliver Crilly launches Irish book in lead-up to 80th birthday
- Shalom Media Award delight for Cappagh parishioner
- Columba Community founder celebrates 80th birthday
- Remembering the late Bridin McDermott
- Mary McCloskey SSCC reflects on The Way of the Heart
- A mystical espousal to Christ by Taryn Watkins
- Irish Page by Fr. Oliver Crilly
- Ireland has its Round Towers…Derry has its Long Tower by Stephen Doherty
- Peter McCawille writes on leading lives of quiet isolation
- Grandparents and grandchildren encouraged to share stories
- Journeying with great mysteries of our salvation – Bishop Donal
- The gift of the Holy Spirit by Fr. Stephen Quinn OCD
- Urgent appeal of Our Lady of Fatima by Anne Lench
- Eugene’s turned into virtual Lough Derg by Roseann O’Donnell
- Mary O’Boyle honoured to be part of Diocesan Catechetical Team
- Online information session on Masters in Catholic School Leadership
- A Word of God for your Family Life by Fr. Johnny Doherty CSsR
- Derry Diocese celebrates World Communications Day online
- Fifth anniversary of ‘Laudato Si’ by Noel Bradley
- Columba in Song by Vera McFadden
- Children’s Catechism Club by Veronica Harley
- Prayer for Grandparents
- Parish Post-its
- Quiz Time with Lawrence
For inclusion of your faith news in future editions just email: firstname.lastname@example.org